Monday, January 15, 2007

Welcome to Studio Arrabbiata



Why this blog? First and foremost I'm starting this for those who are curious about my art and related activities. I'll post new work, and information about exhibitions, workshops and studio events as they happen.

The other purpose is to provide a behind the scenes look at Studio Arrabbiata, located in the Jersey Shore Arts Center in Ocean Grove, NJ. When someone wants to study art today, they usually do it at a college. It worked for me- that's where I discovered woodcuts and printmaking. I had good professors at all my stops and I try to pass on what I learned from them to my own college students now. But once upon a time, art wasn't taught in schools, but in the studios of established artists. In the studio you not only learned technique, but also the business of being an artist, and saw the creative process in action.

If there is one group of artists who still thrive in this kind of environment, it's printmakers, and thus visitors are always welcome in the shop shared by Studio Arrabbiata and Social Animal Press. For those who can't make the trip to the Jersey Shore, here's an inside look. Besides the newest prints, you'll see the early sketches and blocks in progress. The less glamorous side of life as an artist will also be covered. And I'll report occasionally on other people's art- especially stuff involving prints and friends. Hope you make it a habit to stop by.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lasky said...

Paul, I'm really psyched about this blog of yours! I want to learn more about printmaking. I don't know if I'll ever make prints again, but the process and its results are fascinating to me. I will check in periodically...
-David

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home