Tuesday, January 16, 2007

St Budoc


So here's where we get started with the new art. I'm working on the latest print in my Everyman series, which is based on my reading of Butler's Lives of the Saints. I started this series back in 1994 and I've done somewhere around 75 of them so far. The dates at the top are the saint's feast day, which is how they were organized in the book. It's also a common selling point, and if you're looking for a particular day, right now there's about a 1 in 5 chance I've done one. This one is a date I didn't have, but is the wedding day of a friend. She liked the idea of getting some art as a wedding present and so I suggested a saint for December 9. Of the options I gave her, she liked best the story of St Budoc, which includes a legend that claims he was born in a wine barrel floating in the sea. What I'm showing here is a version of the drawing on the block, which I e-mailed to the bride yesterday. Haven't heard back from her yet, but I did spend a little time in the studio today after work, reworking some of the barrels. Have a lot of class preparation to do this week, so I probably won't start the cutting until the weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home