Sunday, May 04, 2008

New Projects


Another busy week passed with me not getting into the Studio. I wasn't sure I was even going to get there today, but I was able to take care of my errands and was there by late afternoon. One task was making a cardboard folder (top photo) to safely carry a print to a potential purchaser this coming week. Just two pieces of cardboard trimmed to size, paper tape used to make a hinge and along the edges.

Mostly I was working on ideas for some new prints. The other image here, a scene made from 6 woodcuts by 19th century Japanese artist Utagawa Toyokuni, is related to a possible new series I hope to start later in the summer, and I was taking some notes regarding that today. But I'll save the details until that's ready to go.

Meanwhile, I was also working on ideas for two established series. The latest issue of local weekly The Coast Star had some strange stories in it, such as a piece about a series of ocean dumpings around Monmouth County of animals (chickens, ducks, goats, lambs, etc) sacrificed in religious ceremonies. Interesting, but not something that seems an inspiration for one of my prints. However, there was also a supermarket story that has possibilities- a local man was arrested for placing religious messages inside various supermarket products (mostly cereal boxes) at supermarkets all around Wall. I prefer to go with events I actually witnessed, but I'll make an exception in this case- all the stores are ones that I have shopped in, including one I was in today. Today I also gave thought to some possible saints. This coming week is a busy one again- last week of classes, all the final grading- but after that I'll sit down and begin serious work on a new print or two.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home