Monday, July 21, 2008

St Leonard of Vandoeuvre part 2

I made a brief stop at the Studio after work today and continued working on my latest block. Since last time I had done a little online research for images, and I put that to use today. On the right side of the block I put in part of the famous Uncle Sam (I Want You) poster by J.M. Flagg, though I rearranged the elements a little to work with the rest of the composition, and much of it is covered by a protest sign. What is visible should be enough for viewers to recognize the iconic image. In the doorway I put a more detailed version of the soldier I had earlier. I'll probably redraw the flag behind him. One other change is in the protest sign on the left. Originally I had a common slogan from recent years ("No Blood 4 Oil"), but I decided I wanted to make this a more general protest, not specific to our current war. Since much of the architecture in the sketch is based on the 1960's version of the station, I went for a more generic message that would apply then as now. Before finishing, I pencilled in some of the darks, more as a service to those who will be seeing me work on it at the demo in a few days. Tomorrow I plan to partially cut it, getting it started so that the people can see the block in process.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home