Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Rahway Relief Print Show

After work today I had plans to meet with Steve McKenzie in the Studio. I know Steve through the Printmaking Council of New Jersey, where like me he is an active member and part of the advisory board. He contacted me a few weeks ago to see if I was interested in being part of a group show that he's curating, and a few days later we picked the day for his visit. Coming down the Parkway South at rush hour poses some challenges, but he found his way to Ocean Grove, and to the basement. He had mentioned that he wanted to see some work from the past few years, so I had brought a variety of such prints with me, in addition to what I had hanging up in the Studio. He was impressed with my large pieces, the three 24"x36" prints. I showed him the new supermaket print, which he really enjoyed, so I went through the rest of the supermarket series with him. I also showed Steve a variety of individual medium and small works from the past few years. He decided that what he'd like for the show is the 3 large pieces, and 6 of the supermaket prints, which wil be hung in small groupings, if he can figure out how.

Meanwhile, Molly had put out a large variety of her work, all kinds, but with an emphasis on her relief work. This included a new large block, but to this point it's just a sketch on the board. Steve picked out 5 pieces of hers that he'd like to have in the show. He's got a short list of other relief printers to talk to, looking to have about 10 artists in the exhibition.

The exhibition is scheduled to be at the Arts Guild of Rahway, March 20 to April 10, 2009. It's a nice space, the large front lobby of a older building with interesting architecture, the town's former library, built in 1869. In addition to art exhibitions, they have art classes for all levels, and a jazz series, as well as other arts related programs. I saw an exhibition there a few years ago, a group show involving some other printmakers I knew, and thought it would be a good place to show my work. Unfortunately, they don't do solo shows, only groups, and I haven't had the time or energy to put together a group and proposal. This will get me into the space.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home