Sunday, July 12, 2009

Boardwalk Arcade part 21



I started today by finishing the last few figures on the left panel. After that I cut the various objects on the shelves behind the counter. At that point I took a pencil rubbing on newsprint of the whole diptych to get a sense of the value balance- in each panel and across the whole composition. In general I liked it, but as I expected, some of it was a little heavy. For those shelves I decided to leave the front vertical and horizontal edges solid black (should set up a nice rhythm with similar black lines throughout the print) and cut stripes in the shelf backs (like I did with the wheel game shelves) to lighten them up. One piece that I hadn't quite decided on yet was the Asteroids game in the back. That primitive video game had a black screen with the space ship and asteroids made of thin white lines. Easy enough to carve, but with the mostly black cabinet around it, that would be a big hunk of black in the composition- too much. So I cut it out completely, and I'll figure the color later. In addition, doing the rubbing has the effect of revealing various spots that had been missed- a little piece of shoe, a small strip of skee ball machine, etc. Took care of those. I'll give it one more look over tomorrow, but at this point I think the cutting is done. Next time I print.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home