Friday, March 25, 2011

Boardwalk Showers part 26


From the moment that I first printed this new block, I knew that I would eventually have to go back and do more cutting. Some of the shading lines were causing areas of the figures to flatten out, confusing rather than improving the drawing. Since I've taken the coloring of the first proof as far as I can, and the ink on the block is long dry, I decided to go ahead and deal with those issues. I made at least some changes to all seven figures (including the two behind shower curtains), but the biggest changes were to the two standing figures in the lower part of the left side panel. After the cuts were made I took a rubbing with a spare piece of loose leaf paper I had handy. Rubbings are always a little darker than the final version, especially in those gray tone areas, but I do think that the results are an improvement.


Above is a photo of the changes to the two standing figures. Most of the shading lines are still there, but they've been thinned, shortened, or had the shapes opened up. The other significant change to the block was that I also removed the shading lines from the tile wall to the right of the opened shower curtain, shown in the photo below. While the value change it created wasn't bad, I felt the lines added too much texture and were a distraction. So they're gone, and I'll just accomplish the same thing with color on the next proof.

I had considered printing it today as well, but with the time needed to set up and clean up, I decided to just stop there, and deal with some other Studio tasks. On the weekend I'll pull a proof on the okawara, and if it's good, another one right after that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home