Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Boardwalk Days part 4


Today I went into the Studio to explore this recent idea of expanding the Asbury daytime scene to a double diptych. I cut a big piece of Strathmore drawing paper from a 10 yd roll I had purchased last year (in case I wanted to use it to proof the large smoking block) and marked it with four 15" x 10" panels. Then I started drawing. I used the versions of the two buildings from the first pencil sketch, putting them at either end. For the space in between, I combined aspects of that sketch and my reference photos from the scene. It's just a very rough sketch, but it gives the general idea. Molly was also working there today, and she definitely preferred this version, assuming that expected elements are added to various parts of the composition.


Another thing to consider is how this image would break down into individual diptychs, should there be a need to exhibit it that way. So above and below are each half by itself.

If I decide to do this, I think it would be best to have it all as one piece of wood. That means I'd have to buy some new wood, a full 8' x 4' sheet so I could have a 4' wide section of vertical grain to work with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home