Friday, March 08, 2013

What Goes Up Must Come Down



This morning I looked out my window, and the snow had finally arrived.  Just a couple of inches on top of grass and cars, not sticking to roads and sidewalks.  And temperatures were rising.  So even though the air was thick with snow past noon, there was never any doubt that I'd be able to get up to the Boatworks to take down my show.  Just three weeks, a short run, but that's still 3 times longer than its time on the wall during my MFA show in Carbondale.  I'm told the whole show got a very positive reaction and a lot of people were talking about it.  I'd think it was a good advertisement for the upcoming big juried show.

By the time I departed for Belmar the snow had long since stopped.  Two of the artists had already removed their works by the time I got there, and a third got his while I was there.  The first thing I did was take some large file size photos of my piece while it was still on the wall.  I took it down in reverse order from the way it went up, counting backwards from July 4, 1994 and working my way back toward 1993.  Not surprisingly, it was a lot faster than putting it up.  Working carefully but efficiently, I got it down and packed in just a little over an hour.  There is still the matter of some 370 pushpin holes in the wall, but they are small, and we figure a single coat of paint should be enough to cover those.  I'll go in over the weekend after the intake for the new show is complete.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home