Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Out in the Cold


I'm excited to get going on my next project, and even spent some time today looking through my gathered reference material.  But before I can get into that I have a whole lot of other art related stuff to deal with, and I addressed a bunch of them today.

Still lots of confusion at my university with paperwork related to the current classes.  Did my syllabi weeks ago, but maybe not everyone has it yet.  Computers do make this kind of thing much faster than my days of typing everything with my old modern electric typewriter.  (I don't know if the typewriter was still working, but after being down in the sewage in the basement last fall, it had to go)  And I learned how to save documents as pdf files, which could be useful in the future.  Maybe that's done now.

In the early afternoon I went out.  Chilly today, not as bad as that cold weather in January, but the stiff breeze didn't help.  First stop was the Boatworks.  At Saturday's reception I had noticed a few of my prints were not secured along the bottom edges, so they hung just a little away from the wall, or even moved as air circulated past them.  I had fixed a bunch of these last week with linen tape hinges, so I brought the tape back today and fixed several more.  Took care of some other business, too.  Got some updates on my woodcut class, which is scheduled to start there next week.  Updated the office on an expected gallery visit from some people I know, the week after next.  Learned about some plans to better coordinate all the various BAC web sites, including the blog that I do for them.  And verified that most (if not all) of the information I supplied to a reporter earlier this week turned out to be accurate.  (details will follow in a few days when/if it's published)

Next stop, a local home center to get some class supplies.  Final numbers on my woodcut class won't be known until the first meeting, but I have some paid students, which means it will run.  I have enough ink, paper, and tools to get us started, but I'm low on wood, and the wood filler I had from last year mostly dried out, so I invested in a new pail.  Carrying my plywood through the breezy parking lot took a little concentration, but based on my schedule and expected weather, today was the best day to get this necessary task done.

From there I drove to the Studio, to drop those items off.  But while I was there I finally took care of another thing I needed to do, now that my Fourth of July piece is up on the wall.


Like my old typewriter, a good portion of the Fourth of July blocks were underwater in that flood, and had to go to the dump.  The surviving blocks were boxed up and moved to the Studio.  So far no one has inquired about buying any of the prints in the show, but it could happen in the coming weeks, so I figured it would be best to have a list of which blocks still exist.  So I pulled them all out and used my big table to put them in order and catalog them.  It turns out that I have 102 of the diptych blocks out of the 183 that had been cut and printed.  Because of the way they had been packed in the basement, the missing days are scattered throughout the year.  I repacked them in chronological order to make it easier to find specific dates in the future.

After that, with the sun setting and the temperatures dropping, a few more non-art related errands and I was home.  I had more stuff to do after dinner as well, but nothing worth writing about here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home