Saturday, January 26, 2013

Art Comes and Goes


Got kind of a sad e-mail yesterday, an announcement that SICA in Asbury Park will be closing their doors in a few days.  I've been a fan of the place going back several years to when they opened in a large industrial building in Long Branch.  I was only in one show there (a juried show in 2005), but I was a regular visitor, especially their annual Fresh Meat series, which featured art from graduating MFA students from New Jersey schools.  (my reviews of some of these can be found on this blog)  Besides the gallery, that Long Branch building had artist studios for rent, and a few artists from that group (and friends of theirs) became regular members of our critique group.  It was just a little over a year ago that they made the move to Asbury Park, fixing up a space on Cookman Ave, just a few blocks from the Studio, and I don't think I missed a show since then.

However, money continues to be tight everywhere in NJ right now, and the organization has decided that it's time to close the gallery operation.  I was in the Studio briefly today (I finished the cutting on my secret project block during the week and now have printed 3 copies; coloring will start next week) and as cold as it's been, it's not the kind of day where I'd normally go for a walk.  But I figured I should go see what's up.  Most of the office equipment was packed up, and only a few works remained on the walls.  But I talked with SICA's founder Doug (who I've known as long as anyone in Monmouth County's art world) a little while.  What comes next for him is still up in the air, but he did tell me about a few art opportunities, things I plan to act on quickly.  I'll write about the specifics if and when they come to pass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home