Monday, December 31, 2012

The Year That Was 2012


In some ways, 2012 feels like a wasted year for art.  Unusual circumstances ended up taking a lot of time away from making art.  At least I was keeping busy, and things were accomplished that needed to be done eventually.  Every year since I started this blog I have used New Year's Eve to look back at my year in art according to several established categories, so that tradition continues.

Prints- For the first time in a while, no new boardwalk prints were completed.  Only three new prints at all this year- two made specifically for theme shows, and one new saint.  I did end up creating two new artworks from older previously cut blocks;  the blocks made in 2010 for the international collaborative postcard show were both reworked into new prints for shows this year.

Shows- Again, no solo shows this year, but I had 10 prints in 7 group shows.

Publicity- I was interviewed about my work at the faculty show earlier this month, but so far I have not seen the results.  My house themed piece was used to publicize the Gimme Shelter show, appearing in a local paper and on internet based postings.

Awards- My piece in the big annual juried show in Belmar was awarded Best of Show, my second time getting that prize in this show, and the third time one of my boardwalk prints won a prize at a Boatworks show.

Firsts- I had helped print editions for other artists as a grad student, but this year I was sought out to print another artist's work as a professional.  I've taught woodcut many times, but this year I taught a one day linocut workshop for a local event.

Miscellaneous-  The woodcut workshops I have been teaching for the Belmar Arts Council have been a hit, with three more sessions done this past year, and requests by the students to continue the class next year.  Damage related to Hurricane Sandy caused the destruction of large amounts of older work- prints, blocks, and paintings.

The Studio- We finally got proper windows in our space, after being told they were coming for six years.  Our critique group celebrated five years of monthly meetings, continuing to add new regulars to the core group that has been part of it from the beginning.  The linocut class was held there, and when Sandy shut down the Boatworks, I used the space to host the last two meetings of the fall BAC woodcut class.  Despite the heavy regional damage caused by Sandy, the building survived its second consecutive year with a major hurricane with no significant damage.

Next Year-  I am scheduled to get a big chunk of wall to fill as part of a 5 person award show in Belmar in February, though what will go up there is not yet determined.  Nothing else is locked in yet, but I do expect to get more boardwalk prints done, as well as other projects, look for some more shows, and teach more local woodcut classes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home