Friday, December 07, 2012

Boardwalk Days part 13



We're now a week into December, a time of the year when many get to thinking about the holidays.  Being a college professor, I tend to be more concerned with the approaching end of the semester.  Just two weeks left to get students through their final projects, papers, etc.  As a result, I rarely get my annual woodcut Christmas card out before January, and it would be good if I started working on it soon.  But it would also be good if I could get this current boardwalk block done, so when I had a little spare time today, that is what I chose to work on.

The past few times I had been concentrating on the right side, but today I decided to work on the left side drawing.  I had things roughly in the right place for a while now, but I needed to clean up a lot of details, and fix some internal proportions and perspective.  So I fixed the angled roofline, the banks of windows, the railings, and the curved balcony and the supports that hold it up.  The benches were also more or less where I wanted them, but I wanted to change them from generic park benches to the specific type found in that location, so I studied a photo I had stored in my camera, and worked from that.  I redrew the one on the right a few times, but never quite got it right this time.  I did get as far as sketching in the wooden backs of the benches in a more accurate way.  The rest will eventually follow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home