Monday, October 29, 2012

Happy Little Storm

MegaStorm Sandy is bearing down on New Jersey right now, and like most people around here I am hunkered down for the duration, which what I hope is an ample supply of food, water, batteries, candles, etc.

While I still have electricity and internet I've been taking care of things that require those.  Until a few moments ago I was looking up artworks analyzed by my students for a research assignment, those I am not already completely familiar with or can find in the many textbooks on the shelves.  Surfing around on Google, I couldn't help but notice that their homepage is featuring Bob Ross, on what would have been his 70th birthday.  So if the power holds out, I'll express a few words on the occasion.

Back in the spring I put up a post regarding the death of Thomas Kinkade, saying some fairly uncomplimentary things.  Still agree with those things.  Some could also apply to Bob Ross, such as having a very low place in the history of fine art, not likely to ever be in textbooks or museums, etc.  Yet, like most people who know who he is, I liked Bob Ross.  You have probably seen his tv show, the Joy of Painting, at some point, even though he's been dead for almost two decades.

(And this was the point where my lights went out for good, about 2:00 pm on Monday, October 29th.  I am still without electricity or internet at home, but I am on the internet tonight, so I may as well finish this post.  I hope to have a full storm update in a few days.)

TUESDAY NOVEMBER 6, 2012

Ross was known for his extremely mellow nature.  A soft voice, describing the happy little clouds and trees he was placing in each painting.  I have read that his shows are sometimes broadcast in other counties without being dubbed into local languages, so that those audiences can enjoy his soothing tone.  The paintings are largely forgettable, simple landscapes, usually with mountains/hills, trees, maybe fields of grass or flowers, sometimes a lake or river, but over the course of a half hour program, he always completed a new one, never seeming rushed by the format.

The difference I see is that Bob Ross's art empire was built on his broadcasts, and a line of art supplies (I think I have one of his paint knives somewhere), how-to books, etc. I'm sure he made plenty of money off these.  I don't know if there was ever a major market for the paintings themselves.  He strikes me as someone who realized that while not everyone out there is an artist or would ever seriously study it, quite a lot of people do like creative activities.  Anyone with a minimum of ambition can put together a basic palette, and using a few brushes and a palette knife, follow the steps to make their own landscape image.  He got people involved.  On the other hand, Kinkade was set up as the artistic genius, sharing his "inspired" landscapes with the world.  His fans didn't have to know anything about fine art; he knew what was best, he did it, and they paid him for it.  Sometimes thousands of dollars for mere reproductions.

So neither made paintings of great significance to the art world.  Neither is an artistic influence on my work.  But one seems to have been a nice guy who enjoyed art and shared that love with the world, while one seems to be a guy who cared mostly about making a big pile of money.  On that basis, both succeeded.  Until I find a way to start making some big profits, it seems I have more in common with Bob Ross.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home