Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Boardwalk Days part 10


The big move is complete, the school year is underway, time to get back to the art.  The last time I worked on this latest boardwalk block was about six weeks ago, though I have spent time since then looking at it and thinking about what would happen next.


I had figured out a while ago that the overall perspective was off.  After a lot of looking at the block, I decided that the problem was that the two buildings, while both drawn relatively accurately, were not lined up properly. I looked at some of my panoramic photos of the scene to see the relationship of the two.  According to the photos, the curved edge of the round restaurant balcony on the left side should line up horizontally with the curving arch over the bank of windows on the right side.  In my August drawing (above), the left side is about an inch lower than the right.  Today I made the adjustment, starting at the top with the triangular peaks of the restaurant and redrawing each piece a little higher.  Now the two curving arcs (see below) match up.




I made a few other minor changes today, all on the left side.  I adjusted the top line of the benches, bringing the end in the foreground up.  And I moved the umbrella a little more to the left, closer to the shrubs and ramp.  This area of the block will need a lot more detail work, but I do think the changes are an improvement.  I like that the roof of the building on the left is now taller, instead of them both being about the same height, while those two horizontal curved elements, now lining up, form a bit of symmetry.  With luck I'll get into the Studio a few more times before the next crit, so it will be worth showing.


The framing around our new windows was finished a few weeks ago, and they even repainted them a similar light green to what had been there before.  But today I had the camera with me, so you get to see what they look like.  I'll have to keep on the landlord about getting us some shades or blinds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home