Friday, October 26, 2012

Boardwalk Days part 11


I used spare time over the last week or so to do some paper sketches from some of the many digital photos I've taken up at the north end of the Asbury boardwalk.  The idea is that I can take my time and get all the details and proportions right, not easy to do when you're standing and sketching on the boardwalk itself.  Today I had some time to actually get up to the Studio and do some work of my own.  I brought the first batch of paper sketches (above), all of parts of Convention Hall.  The source photos are not from the same perspective as the current block drawing, but I figured I could still use them as a source of architectural detail.  Turned out to be more difficult than I expected.

The block sketch that I had was done on site from direct observation of the buildings and I assumed that it was fairly accurate.  However, the proportions and relative position of various architectural elements did not match many parts of the photo based sketches.  So I had to spend much of my time trying to figure out the least I could change and still reconcile my two sources.  Results are below.


I didn't get as far as I had hoped today, but it is an improvement.  I'm going to try to get back to the Studio for a while tomorrow, because it's just easier to draw there than at home, but I'll be bringing the block home with me at the end of day.  We're expecting a big storm and it could be a while before I get back there again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home