Sunday, March 09, 2014

Woodcut Workshop Returns



It took a little further into the calendar than I had hoped, but today was the finally the start of the first woodcut workshop of 2014.  With a last minute sign up last night of a returning student, the number was brought up to 6, which matches my previous high number.  I had started the process of gathering my supplies and materials a few weeks ago.  I'm glad that I had picked up the old milk crate full of the bulkier stuff a few weeks ago- where I normally keep it in the Studio it probably would have been in the flood zone last week.  The first day has the most stuff to move, with all the art examples that I bring to show possibilities.  That means 4 or 5 trips to load my car, which meant I got there later than I like, but just in time for the official start of class, and still ahead of a few students.  (thanks to leftovers from last night's reception at the Boatworks, I could offer them snacks while I finished unloading the car)

Of the six in the current group, two have been in this class before- my most loyal student Mary, and BAC regular Joan who took it around this time last year.  The others have a variety of woodcutting experience, but nothing recent, if at all.  We opened with the usual artist introductions and review of the plan for the series.  I showed a variety of my work and some group folios with many different examples of prints, styles, and subjects.  I had brought with me a full panel of lauan that I had from last year, but I decided to cut up the piece of 1/2" birch I bought recently.  The pieces were small for their first attempts, and I have plenty more to make bigger ones if they want those before we are done with this series.  Everyone seems excited by the possibilities.  The Boatworks was already reserved for next Sunday, so they have two weeks to work on a block sketch, and we'll continue after that.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home