Saturday, January 17, 2015

Art in 3D


Tonight was the opening reception for "You Are What You Eat", a salon exhibition at the Belmar Arts Council.  We typically open the year with a salon show, an open member exhibition where the artists are invited to briefly speak about the work on display, take questions, etc.  This year we were asked to provide food that reflects what was depicted in our artwork.  I had chosen two prints from the Fourth of July series, blocks that survived Hurricane Sandy and showed food that would be suitable for an art reception.  Of those two, I decided to go with the Italian style cheesecake for the reception.  The baking can be done the day before, leaving very little to do the day of the event.


It's been years since I made one of these, but the recipe and the procedure is pretty simple.  Butter and flour a springform pan, mix the ricotta, eggs, sugar, and other ingredients in a big bowl, dump it into the pan, bake until it's done.  I keep it in until it's a golden brown, then take it out and let it cool.  It rises in baking, then settles down again as it cools.


Last night I covered it and stuck in my fridge.  Late this afternoon I packed it (still in the pan), along with a box of confectioners sugar, and other utensils.  When I got to the Boatworks, I took off the round rim, dusted it with the powdered sugar, and put it on the food table.


I was hoping to get a shot of the finished cake to match the two photos I had taken in progress yesterday, but in the seconds that it took for me to turn around and grab my camera, the cake was already attacked.  Still, you get the idea.  An attractive tasty dessert that looks like something that should be far more complicated than it is.  I did get a chance to try a piece, and it was pretty much as I remembered it.  Nothing left- I came home with an empty pan.   The print will stay on display in Belmar through February 27th.  More images from the reception can be seen over on the Belmar blog.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home