Monday, January 05, 2015

Return of the Critique


I got to the Studio this afternoon, planning to get in some work before everyone arrived, and I discovered that I had left my camera at home.  This wouldn't affect my ability to sketch anything, but I would have used it to show a few things, plus to document the work brought by everyone else.  I wasn't sure who was even coming, since the only person I had heard from was someone currently out of the country.  In the end we had six participants, all with something to show.

Molly had some drawings and other processes done with found objects, such as reworked surfaces of Cracker-Jack boxes.  Catherine had some large monoprinted color woodcuts, experimental pieces that we saw as possibly finished.  Mary G had a series of small graphite sketches, shapes that could be teardrops or plant parts.  Marci had a bunch of sticker pieces, anonymous art designed to be quickly adhered to public spaces.  Jane brought two large tree drawings on paper.  Molly had been excited by the latest Christmas card, so I showed that along with the original artworks that inspired it.  But mostly I  talked about the supermarket block.  Some knew the story already from previous crits, but some were hearing it for the first time, which let to some questioning as to why the guy was dumping old bricks in a supermarket parking lot.  I'm not creating the story, just reporting it.  No major suggestions for the drawing, just to go ahead and start cutting it.  I think that will happen soon.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home