Thursday, January 03, 2019

LOL part 3




For some reason it was decided to hold the latest show at BelmarArts with an entry deadline of January 3rd, right in the midst of holiday season.  Just barely finished my first major college task of the break, but I have two more to go.  And while I finished coloring my first batch of cards today, it may take a few days to get them all in the mail.  And then there was this deadline.  Luckily I had this old unused piece, as I would never have had time to create something new this week.  

Last night I decided that I would go with this one as my entry for the upcoming LOL: Humor Show at BelmarArts.  It's one of the prints from my A Side Effects Profile that Favors Consumer Compliance series.  I blogged about the whole series yesterday, and this one fits into that theme.  On the left side we have out two "scientists" who could have been a part of so many tv commercials of mid 90's.  I know of no logical reason for then to be examining a basketball under a microscope, or for one to be taking notes regarding the experience, but that's what they are doing.   Side by side we also have two young men intensely playing basketball on what seems to be a small urban basketball court (brick wall, hoop without a net, evidence of the court surrounded by a chain link fence, skyscrapers in the background), just as much symbolic as the scientists.  There are probably many associations that one might have with the two athletes, but intellectual pursuits probably aren't among them.  I don't think I ever had a plan for what all these characters would have been advertising, but each pair of figures, their activities, and the location, all carry strong associations, and could imply a kind of endorsement of the product or activity by associated personality types.  I'll leave that for the viewers to decide.

So once I had finished my e-mail to a student, I took care of the entry for the show.  All done online these days.  Filled out the blanks, uploaded the image, and sent it in.  Then I drove up to Belmar to pay the entry fee in person.  Before I could leave, another artist showed up to do the same thing, so I'm not the only one with this routine.  Tomorrow or Saturday I need to drop off the piece.  It's a matter of inserting the above print into an appropriate sized frame and then bringing it over.  The LOL Humor Show officials opens on Wednesday January 9, 2019, and remains on display through February 1, 2019.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home