Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Woodcut Wraps Up


Tonight was the fourth and last meeting of the woodcut series in Ocean Grove.  Only one student made it through the four week class.  Would she depart with a finished print?


Of course she would.  As a rule, everyone who makes it through the class ends up finishing a print.  No exception this time.  Last week she pulled an in progress proof, but chose white ink on red paper, not an advisable combination.  This week she worked hard to get the block done, and decided it was ready to print about 7:30, with half an hour left in the class.  We could do that.

We decided to go with a water based ink, but black, and she didn't want color but some kind of white paper.  All I had that was white was a roll of, well I am not sure exactly what it is- other than a gift from a fellow printmaking grad student in Carbondale who had decided to leave art for a while.  A Japanese style thin paper with big white fibers running through it.  My student liked it, so I cut her a hunk.  I demonstrated how to ink the block, and then how to hand print the image. Above is the result.  The student was very pleased with how it turned out, surprised at the level of detail in the glasses, but as the one who carved it, she gets that credit.  As is the custom, I had her then ink and print the block so she could have the experience and know how to do it.

As I was finishing the first proof we had an expected guest arrive.  Before drawing class yesterday Bobby Duncan mentioned that someone had come by who was very interested in taking the woodcut class and had her information on a piece of paper.  Last night when I sent Nichole an update on the day's class, I forwarded her this information. This afternoon Nichole told me she had contacted her by phone and she was planning to  stop by tonight's class and see what we do.  I was beginning to wonder if she was still coming, but she got there in time to see the first proof being printed.  Asked me a bunch of questions of which I could answer most (still not sure where it will meet- we were back in air conditioned #3 tonight) and she introduced a friend who came along.  She seemed very interested and asked how one signs up, so I'll hope they do so.  My recent student said she was very satisfied with the class and the print she made, but was not likely to commit to the August class.  But maybe in a few months she'd be ready to come back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home