Wednesday, July 17, 2019

The Narwhal part 20


I got up to Ocean Grove around 4:30, about 90 minutes before class was due to start.  The room was pretty much how I left it last night.  The dehumidifier was off and showing the same code I had seen last night.  Had it been run again or is this just what I saw last night?  No idea, and there's no instruction book to consult, so I left it alone.  Plugged in all the fans and aimed them toward the cluster of tables.   The sign in the basement hallway still had information about yesterday's drawing class, so I took care of that.

Teaching at contemporary colleges does mean you learn how to use whiteboards and how to clear them without an eraser, and can even give you the habit of keeping a dry erase marker on yourself at all times because you can't count on the schools to provide them.

I had other ways to kill the time.  The wood I was given to make this narwhal piece had been used in some kind of furniture, the back of something.  As a result, my block has some small holes, where it appears some screws once were used.  No problem yet, but these should be dealt with before I turn it in.  The simple solution seemed to be to use some wood filler, then cover it with ink.  I used to use it routinely to surface all the luaun blocks, but then the company that made it changed the formula and made it worse.  (Not just my opinion- I found dozens of comments on store sites from customers complaining that the new version was much worse than the earlier product.) Around the same time whoever was manufacturing lauan plywood started making that much worse, so I switched to birch and no longer needed wood filler.  Still had a container in my car and from experience I know how to resuscitate it when it's dried out, so I mixed up a small amount and filled the holes. Left it in the Studio to dry.


Still left me with a good half hour to kill, but had all the fans on me, some cold water to drink, and a book to read, so about the same as if I was sitting at home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home