Monday, July 15, 2019

More Studio Business


Always lots to do when I get to Ocean Grove.  The weather was actually nice today- warm, but not oppressively hot, humidity down- but the news tells us the hot and humid should come back tomorrow.  Stopped by the office first. but was told that Nichole was in a meeting. Got some news from Matt, that a dehumidifier, or maybe two, were on order.  Not sure when we'd be getting them, but they were on the way.  Sounds like just in time.  Continued down to the basement and looked at the Cafeteria/Green Room. And there was a dehumidifier there.  Still in a cardboard box, siting in a shopping cart in the middle of the room, not plugged in or hooked up to anything, but it was there and that's half the battle.

On to the Studio.  Tomorrow is the next meeting of the drawing class. The planned topic for week 2 is  negative space, and I'll use my wooden chairs and some bottles as props for the planned exercises. When I teach this at colleges I don't bring slides for this topic, but examples do help explain it. I will have some art history examples,  but I may show some art as well   I realized a long time ago that the black and white of a woodcut print is essentially the same thing a positive and negative space, so I took a few minutes to see what blocks I had around the room, and found a supermarket block and a print that came from it, so I'll put those to use tomorrow.

My art plans for today were to work on the new supermarket print, about the fireworks for sale, but I'll save that for another post.  After 2 hours down there, I decided it was time to head out.  The black ink parts of the narwhal block seemed dry, then I had an idea.  The ink I've been coloring the block with is water based, and such things typically dry by evaporation.  It can be a slow process, and not helped by that humid basement.  Perhaps sticking the block in the back of my hot dry car might speed up the process.  Don't think it would hurt it. So I took it outside and left it in my car, and we'll see the results tomorrow.  

Back inside I found Nichole in the office, in yet another meeting.  (the nature of her job) We did talk briefly.  She mentioned that nothing had happened yet with that teacher thing, but I'm not worried about that right now.  She mentioned that a dehumidifier had been purchased and might be in the building but didn't know where, so I told her where she could find it.  I had some payroll questions but didn't have an opportunity to ask about that.  She had mentioned the other day that she had posted the August classes online, but I couldn't find any links, so I asked her about that today.  She said she thought it was done, but would look into it.  I went to the website tonight and found the home page had been reorganized, and now the links to my classes led to August registration forms.  I can let my students know as soon as tomorrow that they can sign up for more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home