Tuesday, July 09, 2019

Drawing Class Week 1


Today is the first day of drawing class in Ocean Grove.  It is also the first day of Green Room classes at the JSAC, so we especially needed it to go well.  However, before I could go there, I had to stop first at the Boatworks and find out what was going on with the woodcut class I was scheduled to teach  tonight.  Timing was set that I could do both.  As of Friday I had no one signed up in Belmar, so I wasn't particularly surprised to be told there were still not any students in the class.  I would have liked to have a bunch of woodcut students (and make the money that would go with that), but not having that class does make my life a little easier this month.  I told them to officially cancel the class and take it off the schedule, to avoid any confusion.  After that, drove straight up to Ocean Grove.

Nichole had asked me to come in extra early in case we had stuff to do, and just to make sure everything was set.  Class was scheduled to begin at 2 pm, but I was there by 11 am.  Stopped by the office.  Nichole was there, but in a meeting, so she asked if we could meet in the basement around noon.  I could keep myself busy until then.  I checked out the space.  There were 3 folding tables set up, large enough and strong enough for the 7 students to draw on.  Also dozens of stacked chairs, more than enough for the class. Two fans were set up, but not yet on. Went over to my space, photographed the block I had colored yesterday, and spent time going through art history textbooks I had brought with me.  Normally with a college drawing class I would open with a brief slide show of art featuring lines, demonstrating some of the ideas we would cover.  I have a slide projector and slides that would have done the job, but no idea if there would be a place to set it up or if a screen was available, so I figured showing a few examples from the books would be best.  Or at least do the job.  Heard Nichole wandering around in the hallway and met her in the Cafeteria.  Told her I would be able to make it all work.

Late in the 12:00 hour (well after the lunch rush) I went across the street and got a slice of pizza.  Had brought a chilled soda to drink with it.  Brought it back and ate it in the Studio, then time to get ready.  Moved my portable tack board into the room, since I don't have a chalk board to demo on.  Nichole turned on the fans.  Every class that includes drawing I have begun with an exercise in drawing shoes- GEC, 2D Foundations, Intro to Art, Basic Drawing (two schools).  Shoes are designed to fit on a body part and have anatomical connections, plus they sit still and work for free, unlike live models. So of course I went up to my car and grabbed my bag of old shoes.  For such a simple and common object, they are surprisingly effective in teaching basic drawing concepts.

The first student showed up today about 10 minutes before the class was due to start, and gradually the rest arrived.  All 7 came in, the names they gave matched the list I had.  Once all were seated, I had everyone introduce themselves, talk about why they were there.  All claimed no drawing ability or not having done any in years or decades.  All said they learned of it through the newspaper ads.   I introduced myself, gave a brief overview of what I do and have done, and then we began.






Followed my usual plan- had everyone pick a shoe, then demonstrated a quick exterior contour line exercise, then had them get going.  The usual order- exterior contour. cross contour, blind contour, then one last best drawing.  Nichole had rolled a cooler full of ice water down to us, so on a break I invited them to have some.  I certainly wanted some.  As usual the 2.5 hours just flew by.  And for a bunch of people who claimed they couldn't draw, they did just fine.  Shoes tend to bring that out in people.   Would not be surprised if some of them draw more shoes over the next week.  All seemed pleased with the class and said they expect to continue, some looking forward to value stuff, but that will be part of the second series, next month I guess.  Meanwhile, next week we move on to negative space.  We finished on time, I restacked most of the chairs, turned off the fans and lights.  Couldn't find anyone who worked in the building at that point, so put my stuff in either the car or my space, and headed home. I believe it was a success.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home