Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Countdown


Two weeks from today is the beginning of my next round of art classes, with both Drawing and Woodcut beginning that day, one in Ocean Grove, one in Belmar.  At least that's the plan right now- I'll know more as we get closer.

Late last night I received an e-mail from the JSAC promoting all their Green Room classes.  Listed first are my two (drawing on Tuesdays, woodcut on Wednesdays), which are also the first two classes to start.  The e-mail also lists several other classes, all on other days of the week, and all starting a few weeks after mine.  I vaguely knew of them, but this is the first time I've seen the details.  All are more "craft" oriented, run by people with other connections to the building.  All will be held in the Green Room (as they are calling it, to me it's the old cafeteria in the basement).  

I see all this as a good thing.  Another general e-mail blast is a good thing, a reminder to all who get it that there will be arts classes going on this summer.  As part of it there is an explanation of why they are called "Green Room" classes.  I don't know, but I wonder if it's because I asked Nichole last week as to why they are calling the cafeteria by that name- her explanation matching my guess.  Perhaps it was decided that they should answer that question for everyone who might wonder.  And I see all these other classes as a good thing as well. More options means more people are likely to look into it, and it's possible that some of those people will be intrigued by what I am offering and decide to sign up.  None are in conflict time-wise, and it is unlikely that anyone who wants to learn what I'm teaching would decide to pass that up in favor of paper crafts.  Plus, more classes scheduled for July in the basement makes if more likely that the problems of the space will be resolved in time for things to get going.  Both Nichole and Matt have been made aware of the dampness issue down there in the summer and its potential to turn off future students; more classes means more incentive to solve it.

If Nichole had been in today I would have asked her about the latest status, but she was off this morning when I was there. Perhaps I'll see her later this week.  Meanwhile, not much else to do with the classes right now.  I've taught everything multiple times before, so no new preparations needed from me.  The one material I need for the first week of woodcut is wood, and that I get locally in town.  Ink and tools will be ordered from Portland, but none of that needed before week 2, and I can hold off on ordering that stuff until I find out it if anyone has signed up for the classes and providing money for that purpose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home