Monday, June 17, 2019

Summer Class Promotion



Local ads in the Coast Star for my summer classes in Ocean Grove appeared last week, and I picked up the print version from my mother on Friday, but it's much easier to shoot this kind of thing in my Studio than at home, so here it is today.  Plus I was hoping to find out a little more about why these are called "Green Room Classes".  I know they are being held in the old school cafeteria (the sign is still mounted above the door to it) which is a large room, and this time of year mostly empty.
And those of us who have been occupying the basement for years know of it as the Cafeteria.


 I do know the space well, as my Studio has been making use of it for years.  Above is a photo shot one of the many times we held the critique there.  Lots of room when not otherwise occupied, and it meant that Molly would not have to clean up any of her mess.  And we regularly made use of other walls in the cafeteria or a near by hallway (which no longer exists) as gallery space during the critiques.  (I thought of it as our "annex.")





I also used a piece of the cafeteria as the location for the pose of my Twenty-first Century Employee print, as it was convenient to my Studio, had plenty of spare space, and natural light coming in from a window in a place that suited the composition I had in mind for the piece.

One thing I learned recently was that most of the people who regularly work in the offices or floors above have never been to the basement, seem to be a little scared of it.  (at a holiday party on the 3rd floor, and in the elevator, I've met senior citizens who did not believe I've had a Studio in the building for over a decade, until I mentioned it was in the basement, and they admitted they would never go down there.) I looked at the space today, and there is not a sign of anything green in the room.  The studio that Molly and I occupy came with a painted green floor that is still there; it's how I recognized the place in the beginning before the yellow path was painted on the basement floor leading to it.

So why is this room with no green known as the Green Room?  My best guess is that it comes from the tradition in television that the room where guests wait before it's their turn to go on stage is called a green room, and the old school cafeteria is just downstairs from the stage, the closest room to the theater and the dressing rooms are all down there just off the cafeteria.  I should try to find out before the classes begin- some students may want to know.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home