Monday, July 08, 2019

The Narwhal part 19


Time to get back to work on the narwhal.  Got to the Studio building in the late morning and had one other bit of business to investigate.  Have some art classes scheduled to start this week, status yet to be determined.  Saw that Nichole was in the office, so I stopped there before going downstairs.  At that point, no change in the drawing class, but I already knew that was going to happen.  She promised that tables would go in by tomorrow.  However, there was a change in the woodcut class- we had a sign up.  Wasn't sure where the person came from (newspaper, website, social media, parade promotion), but we had one.  And to borrow a line from The Planet of the Apes, (a favorite movie) where there's one there's another and another and another.   With another day to go, it might just happen.  Went downstairs to my space.

For music went with something I keep in my Studio library, a disc I made with a live show by blues musician Robert Cray, originally taped on October 27, 1990, and a I typed that now I realize how long ago that show took place.  It was the annual birthday show for WNEW-FM 102.7 (see the connection) once the great rock station in New York, but now gone after multiple other formats all failed.  The concert lives on in my library.



Had a lot of things I needed to deal with today, including making sure I had a smaller brush for coloring the details of the narwhal block.  And I took care of that, but forgot the camera again.  I'll be back there tomorrow and get the image then, and I'll add it to this post.  Meanwhile, here's the story of what happened.  Had two things left to color on the block. The upper part of the iceberg, and all the water.  Once again I used the printed and colored proofs as my guide.  For the iceberg, mostly white with just a hint of blue, phthalo in this case because that is what I have.  And a little of that color mix for the narwhal horn.  For all the ocean water, the same two colors, but far more of the blue and less of the white.  It took a while, using a more narrow brush than what I had last time, but everything got filled in.  A little of this color ended up on top of the black areas, but eventually more black ink will be rolled on top, but not until all this color ink is dry.  I did a blotter proof at the end of the session, but that could still take a while.

Cleaned up, packed up, and carried bags to my car. My cellphone rang while I was in the parking lot, not really a great place to answer a call.  Wasn't sure if I knew the number- might be Nichole, figured I should see if something new happened.  Back into the building and sure enough it was Nichole with some news- we had a second sign up for the woodcut class, which was the minimum.  So that one will run now as well.  (as I said, where there's one there's another and another) Deadline was not until tonight, so maybe there are even more now, but that's at least 9 students between the two classes, and we haven't even posted the August classes yet.   The only supplies I need for the first week of woodcut is wood, but I have enough of that that I don't need to get any before our first meeting.  I'll eventually want to get more ink, wood, paper, and tools, but I should collect some materials money first.  I'll save more details for another post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home