Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Woodcut Class Week 1



Another night, another class.  This time it was woodcut.  Of course the woodcut class was the first one I had scheduled, but I only got the people to register at the last minute, just barely beating the deadline. So I only learned it would happen a few days ago.  Don't need much preparation, so no problem.  Got there tonight, and the room was all set up, just like I left it last night.  I tend to bring a lot more stuff to a woodcut class, so it took a lot more trips to load my car, and a lot more to carry all of it down to the cafeteria where the class would take place.  Brought several group exchange folios, a variety of my own print examples, books, blocks, tools- Lots of examples since I figured they wouldn't come in knowing much on the topic.  I had two students on the roster and they both showed up on time.  No experience, but we'll change that.  Did the usual for a first week woodcut class- went through the folios, showing them the possibilities of prints.  Then the examples of my work- more possibilities and specifically woodcut.  Examples of blocks and the prints that came from them, so they could see the relationship and know more about what they will need to do.  And of course, each was given a piece of birch and advice on drawing.  There is no specific assignment- just bring an idea next week, either drawn on the wood, or at least a paper sketch and they can add it to the wood in class.  I showed them the carving tools, but we won't get a cutting demonstration or lesson until week 2.  So far they seem enthusiastic about the possibilities, so I look forward to seeing what they come up with for ideas.  My past first time students have always responded well to their first project, so I expect the same this time.

Finished on time, and then the effort to reorganize all of the stuff and get it back to the car.  Had the wood in my Studio, so the extra pieces went back there.  Everything else came from my car or home, so that all had to go back out.  Very tiring, but it all got done.  Was home about an hour after class ended.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home