Tuesday, August 06, 2019

Narwhal part 22



Came in extra early to the Studio today, since there were still questions about what was going to happen with the drawing class, and I had some things to do on the narwhal project.  One thing I had wanted to do was cut a few grooves in the wood mounting system.  Cut these kerfs (as they are technically known) from the hole inward, using my keyhole saw.  Not deep, just enough to hold the wire so it won't be in contact with whatever wall it goes on.  Did both sides, and after each pressed the hanging wire into the kerf and then tightened it.  


Since I am not framing this thing, I decided to blacken the outer edge to match the black areas on the surface.  And I figured the best way to match the ink would be to apply it the same way, so I put a little on my palette and used my smallest softest brayer to roll it onto the edge.


I believe the idea is sound, but I'm not quite done.  The block edge is rough in spots, sometimes to the extent that the brayer could not blacken it as evenly as I had hoped, so I will need to use a small brush and touch up these areas around the perimeter of the block.  Perhaps when I go in tomorrow to take care of some teaching business.  This project is almost done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home