Saturday, March 28, 2020

Ups and Downs


Like many colleges, my employer decided a few weeks ago to switch to distance learning, or online education if you prefer.  At first they said it would just be for a few weeks, but more recently they told all students and teachers not to come back to campus this semester.  As long as they are still paying me, I'll go where they tell me, and they are still paying me. As someone with decades of experience teaching in classrooms and a few weeks of experience as an online teacher, I can say that teaching over the internet is much more exhausting.  Log in early in the morning, and it doesn't end until evening, moving in and out of programs, dozens of e-mails, grading papers, and more after dinner.   Typing continuously and without end.  Last night I didn't finish until after 11:00.  Then more today.

Not surprisingly, I do need occasional breaks from the computer.  Haven't worked on art much the past few days (maybe tomorrow), but one task I decided I had to deal with today was cooking.  And what I decided I was in the mood to make was burritos.  Simple, tasty, and what I cook the first day will make several meals.  Plus, I had about half of what I needed in my cabinets already.  Kind of a rainy day, but not so heavy I couldn't get out to do some shopping.

Hit two nearby supermarkets today and got everything I needed.  Supermarkets are in better shape than they were a few weeks ago.  Aisles that would hold soaps and paper products are still barren, and self serve individual baked goods (rolls, donuts) are still missing, but a lot of the canned and boxed items that had been cleaned out in panic buying have been restocked.  Made more mental notes for a future woodcut, then headed home.

The main ingredient in these burritos is a meat based chili, takes a few hours to cook, but these days there is really no place to go.  The rest of the contents can be prepared tomorrow, or will be added cold.  Maybe I'll have a photo of the finished product tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home