Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Making a living part 16

 

If it's Tuesday, it's a Studio day.  I hung out at home until the garbage truck came and took the bag I had put out, then I got the empty can, brought it in, and was on my way.  Watercolors were in the car, so I just had my bag with my small music collection.  On my way to the Studio, I heard a song on the radio that I knew, but I couldn't remember the name of the band.  And I had the CD on my shelf back when I had a CD shelf.  All I could remember was that they were 'Jed's Boys', referring to Jed Jackson, a former art history professor at SIU.  The summer I had taught both lecture and studio for the GEC class, it was his plan I was following.   (he was busy producing his first textbook, which would be required for that class in subsequent semesters)  I knew from an appearance later at the college, that the band had been students of his at a previous school, and in fact they had named an earlier album after him.  The album I had was their biggest one to date, and I knew some of the songs from a tape someone had given me.  But my years of experience taught me the ways of radio, so I expected that eventually the dj would back list the songs we heard, and he did.  It was the Goo Goo Dolls, who made the transition from college band to big time hit band around that time.  I don't have access to that right now, but there was an art connection of sorts.

Got up to the building about quarter to noon, and went inside.  The basement door to the office was wide open, so I went inside.  Nichole was getting ready for a meeting, and since I had no particular things to ask her about or tell her about, and no one else was there who I needed to talk to, I just said hello and got to my planned work.  I put on a disc I did have, a home burned copy of the Red Hot Chili Peppers' Californication, which I wrote about back in June, 2020.  The last two larger colors I had to deal with on my night time boardwalk print were a bold orange and a bold red.  These were two colors that I knew I had in my official collection, but I still haven't retrieved that from storage.  And I did not have either of those in great quantity among the colors I had.  So the last time I ordered watercolors, I got myself tubes of Permanent Orange and Cadmium Red Medium Hue.   Today I put them to use.  First the orange, which went to clothing, balloons, signs, and a few details.  Did it for both prints, first my practice one, then the better one, though both turned out fine.  Then the red, which was much more, used on big signs (including my pizza shop logo), clothing, architecture, and other details.  Did both again, and the second one took enough time that the first print had dried some and I could already see some colors that had dried and needed a second coat.  Little seeping through.  In any case, both looked good, so I put away my stuff and went home to eat lunch.

Still no camera, but this was mostly in the left panel of the piece, and because of the bright red and orange, easy enough to spot on this old image of the whole print below.  


I'm almost done with this now.  A few small pieces of gray and brown (I have to mix those colors up), then some touch up here and there, and that should be it.  Then I can move on to the next project.



 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home