More Studio Work
My plan for today was to start a new print, and I guess that's what I did. I drove up to the Studio in the late morning, a nice enough day. The first thing I did was pull out an old finished print, my piece about the Circus Drive in from a few years ago. That's because this next print is part of the same series and I want the sizes of the two vertical prints to match. I found it, measured it, drew the appropriate frame on the new piece of wood (a prepared sawed block of about the right size), and started the pencil drawing. My source for this was some pencil sketches I had done from a photo I took of this now gone location. Today was just a rough sketch, and I want to consult my photo source again, so I brought the block home with me. In any case, it's not ready to show here yet, so I won't post a photo of it today. However, I don't want to leave everyone hanging, so here's a photo of something else I was working on today, coloring a proof I took of another old print in this same series, my view of the old Vesuvio restaurant. I do remember that I used a new color (for me) called New Gamboge (same root that gives use the nation of Cambodia) for the wall, but I don't have access to all my old watercolors. And I didn't want to buy a whole tube of it for just this one print, so the question was raised- could I make it from what I had? Gave it a shot. Mixed some Titanium White, some Naples Yellow, and a touch of Natural Siena. Maybe not an exact match, but close enough for my purposes:
Today was just yellows and some flesh tones. A lot more will be needed before I am done, and I don't have a finished copy of the print handy, but I do have good photographs of it on my computer, and that will do for this.
For music today I brought my rock/pop discs and chose my Shonen Knife home burned disc. It's been more than a year since I wrote on this blog about it, so it's probably been a while since I listened to it. There are posts about it going back to July of 2019, but I think the best write up of this disc may be what I posted in July of 2023. I may not understand most of it (you only learn so much Japanese in a year of college), but then as now, good music to make art to.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home