Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Summer Drawing Nights

While my recent print continues to dry I have been spending time on other art related stuff. The past few days especially I was working on my application for the latest round of Mid Atlantic Arts Foundation grants. Never had any luck with this in the past, but hey, someone has to get the money, and the work I submitted this time around is as strong as any I've done. Got the online application finished yesterday, and the mail in portion went out this afternoon. I'll post the results here in about 6 months.

With all that settled, I could enjoy an evening of figure drawing in Belmar. It was a pretty good session, a couple of decent drawings, the best of which is above. Nights like this take me back to the summer after I graduated college the first time, when I ended up taking a summer life drawing class at Montclair State. Three nights a week, four hours per night, for eight weeks for six credits. Helped me get to the next level with my charcoal drawing. One of my classmates from that course (and a few others that I'd later take at Montclair) would sometimes look back on the experience as "drawing on those sultry summer nights." The weather this summer has been relatively mild so far, but at the end of the night when I leave the air conditioned building and walk into the still warm July air, there's a little of that feeling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home