Thursday, June 17, 2010

Roaming


I got up to the Studio early in the afternoon. Molly was there with one of her ongoing intaglio students. Today I started some paper sketches of the next block, but I'll save the story and images until I'm ready to start drawing on the block, as is my custom. I took advantage of the nice weather to walk over to Parlor Gallery in Asbury to see the latest show. The place was empty, except for staff, who were involved in a discussion of that art reality show. They agreed with pretty much everything I've been writing here, but we also agreed that we're all going to keep watching it.

Back to the Studio to work a little more on my drawing, then I got into my car and drove up to SICA in Long Branch to see this year's Fresh Meat show, art from some of New Jersey's newest graduating MFA students. Normally I see this show every year, but this year in particular I had a further incentive- I know one of the artists. Shown above is a painting from Lisa Ficarelli-Halpern, who took one of my woodcut workshops a long time ago, and our paths cross every few years. In general I liked this year's exhibition much more than last year's. The work seemed more resolved in general. The individual drawings in Montclair State's Gavin Gewecke's piece didn't do much for me, but the 9' square grouping had some nice rhythms of mark making and value. Ji Yong Kim (also of Montclair) exhibited a series of small etchings. Not very exciting in themselves, but showing more skill than I had in my etching days, and it's always nice to see that someone's studying printmaking these days. The show remains up through July 2nd for those who wish to see it themselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home