Sunday, July 25, 2010

Gallery Work

Work on the new figure piece has been suspended a few days with a combination of job/school, family, and triple digit temperatures that discourage visits to my un-air conditioned Studio. Sitting on my couch at home looking at my architectural sketches was as far as I got. I will get in during the week and advance it a bit further before the August crit group.

Today I drove up to the Printmaking Council of New Jersey as part of my duties on the Exhibition Committee. I don't have nearly as much free time these days as I did back in the late 90's when I started on the committee, so I haven't been as much a part of the planning and installing of shows. But for once they needed help on a day when I had nothing else that needed doing, and I had to go pick up my piece from the just closed Member's show anyway. We spent the first hour or so packing up the previous show (mostly trying to match packaging with framed artworks), and almost 4 hours working on the installation of the new show. There are about 3 dozen works in the exhibition, most fairly large, and a few very large. We picked places for the latter first, then arranged the rest around those. We had a crew of five (plus another installing a small show in the library gallery) with tape measures and hammers to get it all done. Those two very large pieces will go up during the week (waiting for special hanging materials/parts), but the rest got up and looks pretty good.

The exhibition, called Myths and Marks: Archetypes through the Ages, opens with a reception on Saturday, July 31st, from 1 to 4 pm, and remains on view during gallery hours through October 9th. Admission is free as always. Nothing of mine in this one, but there's plenty of interesting prints in the show- definitely worth checking out if you're in the neighborhood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home