Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Boardwalk Nights part 25


It feels like it's been quite a long time since I did anything artistic. Looking back on the blog it's been over two weeks. I needed a little break after the long hours I put in to finish the proof for the After Sunset show, if for no other reason than to get caught up (and maybe a little ahead) on my school work. But it's time to get back to work. I want to finish coloring the 3rd proof of he newest print, because I'd like to have the color version to show at the November critique and the framed one will still be on display in Belmar at that point. And I'd like to get this done before I move on to something else. Normally I like to have one in front of me to copy from as I'm going through the coloring process, but that wasn't possible today. However I did have something to reference.

This past Saturday I took a turn gallery sitting in Belmar. I spent most of the time updating my lecture notes for the next chapter in my art history class, but I also took some time to make some color notes based on the framed copy of my print. For example, the mixed color from my palette that I call pale yellow can be found on parts of the illuminated pizza sign, the undersides of that building's two overhangs, on two of the flat signs, on a couple of the walking people, and in some of the fireworks. I charted several such common colors that day. Brought that list with me to the Studio today and used it to put the first four colors throughout the composition. I may have to eventually bring this proof with me to Belmar on another gallery sitting day to properly copy some of the details, but I can probably get a good bit of it done before then just based on notes like the ones I used today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home