Thursday, September 30, 2010

Boardwalk Nights part 22

After printing the 3rd proof the other day, I took the first proof home with me, along with my watercolor box. I needed to make room on my tack board anyway, it would give me more time to look at it, and with my busy schedule, I figured I could continue coloring whenever I found a spare minute.

An idea that I came up with relates to my whole coloring process. Long time readers here know that when coloring later copies of complex prints, I start with the light and warm colors first. Recent examples can be found here and here. I've always like this early stage- the mix of yellows, reds, and earth tones is a nice combination by itself. On at least one occasion Molly saw one of these proofs in progress and suggested doing a print with just those colors. I didn't think that would work for this current series, but now I'm thinking a little differently. At night the overwhelming majority of lights on the boardwalk (signs, rides, etc) are warm colors. Maybe that would help this print come together better. So on the first proof I recolored some of the large blue sections (see above). Not the colors that I would start with, but enough to see that everything holds together a bit better. Even with this scheme I would include some cool colors, but only as accents, not as significant parts of the composition. I'll have the results posted here as it happens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home