Friday, September 24, 2010

A Sudden Show


Things never seem to go as smoothly as one would hope with Asbury Park's art festival. The past two years it was one leg of the TriCity Arts Tour, but this year Asbury is going it alone. I made a number of contacts with the involved people, but as usual, time got close and I heard nothing. Finally last Sunday I was offered a space, and I stopped by on Monday after work to see what I'd have to work with. Not walls this time, but storefront display windows. Some pieces could lean against some shelves in one window, but I would have to provide something to prop up the framed prints in the other window. So with that in mind, this morning I stopped at the Studio and cranked out 4 table easels using some screws and wood from the scrap box.

The next problem was getting the easels and my art to the space. For unknown reasons, the town decided that the week of the CityArts festival would be the week to tear up the sidewalks and streets of Cookman Avenue, where the street fair and all the festival art sites are. The plan was to put everything back in order in time for the opening, but for today that eliminated all the parking on the street. I circled around a bit and eventually found a spot of Lake Avenue, which is only one block closer to Cookman than my Studio parking lot. Well, it saved some minutes on a very busy day. I carried everything to the store in two trips, and it took about 15 minutes to put everything in place. I put three boardwalk prints in one window, and four supermarket prints (see below) in the other.

The art is on display at etc, a home decor/accessories store at 653 Cookman Avenue (at Bond) tonight, Saturday, and Sunday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home