Saturday, December 11, 2010

Santa, Is That You?


Tonight was the big one night Santa is that you? spectacular down at Le Souterrain Gallery in Seaside Heights. I got there shortly after the official start time and there were already a few dozen cars on the street in front. I found a spot about half a block away, which would be unheard of in the summer.


The first thing was to check out my art before the bigger crowds arrived. Quickly I noticed that only three of the pieces were hung, and I didn't spot the fourth anywhere else. Since the walls were otherwise full, I assumed that one was cut for lack of space and exhibition organizer Graham Preston confirmed this later. The three prints did get a good spot (they can be seen in the background of the next two photos below), and many compliments from people at the show, including some fellow faculty who were mostly unfamiliar with my work.



Before long the crowds did show up. It's possible that as many as 200 people came through over the part of the evening that I was there. In attendance were several college faculty (including our dean), and a bunch of my current and former students.


They did a bit of work to fix the place up since I was here dropping off work last week. That includes constructing a few new walls to create a back room. Besides additional artwork, the back room had some of the refreshments and a few live musical acts. When you see a stack of pizzas like the one below (and more would follow), you know you're at a good reception.




Things were still pretty crowded when I took off, a sign that there is definitely interest in arts events in the area. More shows are expected to follow, and if I'm in any of them, I'll be letting you know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home