Monday, August 08, 2011

Smoking Figure part 34


I got up to the Studio for a few hours today. I decided to continue cutting out white stuff today, so I started with the cornerstone area in the bottom right part of the block. No problem with knotty wood this time, but around the black letters and numbers was an area of bad wood, with nothing to support the veneer on the surface. With some careful cutting and the application of of some glue I was able to keep all the text intact. The rest cleared from the block pretty quickly. As for the angled piece of the stone, I did more diagonal striping (like I did on the left side last week), but cut about half of it away to lighten the value. The results are shown above.


I went ahead and finished one other thing, cutting out all the lines of mortar between the bricks on both sides. Above you can see the whole block and how the values are balancing so far. That leaves only one visual element that hasn't been cut at all- the bricks themselves. You know what I'll be working on next time I'm there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home