Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Getting Ready to Work

Been busy with various projects of late, which has kept me from making any new art the past few weeks. That should change soon, and activities today should help bring that around.

In the early afternoon I drove up to the Studio with a list of things to work on.  The printmaking supplies that I had ordered for the editioning job arrived at the Jersey Shore yesterday, and I opened them up at home to make sure everything arrived in good shape.  It did.  I brought those with me today, getting there in time to meet with Ashley regarding her editions.  She dropped off the blocks and answered a few last specific questions about the job.  After she was gone, I spent some time tearing some of the paper down into different sizes appropriate to her 4 prints.  I also created some press bed templates- large paper with marked out borders for the paper and the centered block.  These will make sure that the margins are identical on all the prints in each edition.  I packed it all up in preparation for tomorrow's planned print session.  None of this was exciting enough to take pictures of, but I expect to get some photos of the printing process.

My next planned print is the latest in the boardwalk series, which right now looks to me the four panel double diptych set on Asbury's boardwalk.  I need to check out those buildings one more time, and had considered doing that while I was up that way.  However, the pleasant sunny weather at my apartment turned to gusty winds in Ocean Grove, and I knew things would be worse up by the ocean, so I put that off.

Had a backup plan.  A month from now I am scheduled to do an appearance at a meeting of the Freehold Art Society- show some art, and demonstrate cutting and printing.  There's no way that any boardwalk block would be ready enough to start cutting by then, so the simplest solution is to do what I did for my last such appearance, start a new saint.  There were a lot of hassles connected to my move last year, but one benefit is that sorting through everything I own turned up some useful things I hadn't seen in a while and I have been able to put them in places where I can find them again.  One of those things was a notebook I was using in my last year of grad school, where I took notes for my Everyman series.  Back in 1994-5 as I was reading the Butler's book I noted possible ideas, the best of which became woodcuts.  I had to cut off the process as I got close to the date of the MFA show, leaving me light on saints with feast days from January to June.  In my notebook I had one line summaries of dozens of saints from those months, easier than reading through 1400 pages of biographies again.  When Ashley had notified me that she might be late, and I wasn't sure how long I'd have to wait around, I grabbed those first two Butler's volumes so I could follow up on those noted saints.  Spent about an hour going through some possibilities.  Over the next week I'll pick one and start sketching some ideas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home