Friday, June 01, 2012

Boardwalk Days part 7


I returned to the Studio today to follow up on the ideas I was developing yesterday for the latest boardwalk print.  For this one I went back to the classic diptych format, and a composition that isn't too far different from the one I presented in the critique a few months ago.  I decided to start over with a new piece of paper as the old one had too many scribbles and eraser marks to continue using.  The main difference is that I moved the location of the lamp post that had been near the middle of the composition over to the left, closer to Convention Hall.  Last night I looked at some of my recent photos of the building, details much easier to see on the computer screen than on the camera's tiny viewscreen, all I had to work with yesterday afternoon.  With this information, I was able to establish a more plausible location for that center post and the landscaping that contained it.

The two buildings are a little more detailed and accurate than the earlier sketches, though both will need more when I get to the drawing on wood.  I paid a little more attention to the benches by the restaurant, making use of the sketches I had done on locations in early May.  Moving the lamp post opens up the middle space a little more than the earlier diptych.  This view also brings back more of the boardwalk itself, and consequently, a larger piece of the beach and ocean.  It's not as big a piece as I had originally envisioned, but at this point I thinking I may save a lot of those details that I had planned for the day time print and spin them into a whole new image.  If there's time, I'll show both this and St Genevieve at next week's critique.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home