Wednesday, May 01, 2013

St Pamphilus part 3



I was able to set aside some time for the Studio today, and brought the current St Pamphilus block and my tools (used for Sunday's demo) with me.  However, before doing any cutting, I wanted to fix a few things with the drawing.  Even before Sunday's cutting, I had realized that there was an issue with the perspective of the plate being held out to receive a pancake.  I had drawn the pancake and tongs first, then added the plate under it, but only showing plate on the viewer's side of the pancake (underneath it on the block), but later I realized that we should be seeing a bit of the plate on the other side (above it on the block) of the pancake.  So before cutting on Sunday I briefly sketched in a plate edge, but avoided doing any cutting in that area of the block that first day.

I assumed it would take a few minutes to correct the far edge of the plate, plus I thought I'd add another hand holding the plate.  Almost two hours later I had the above drawing done, but still wasn't satisfied and not ready to continue cutting.  The plate and hand were drawn from life (me) and are correct in themselves, but when you look at the whole thing they just don't fit with the originally drawn piece.  I can't change the earlier drawing, already cut into the block, so I'll need to go back into what I had worked on today.  My goal is to have this thing cut before the next critique, a week from tomorrow, and I'm still on target for that.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home