Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Table Talk part 18



Had a spare hour in my day early, so I drove up to the Studio to take care of a few things.  But even before I got in the door I got good news- Herb told me a new belt sander had been picked up for us, so I will soon be able to start on all the sanding of the frames and legs.  Meanwhile Molly was finishing something in our print shop while I did some table stuff.  I wanted to put a few more screws into one of the cafe tables I had glued for Molly on Saturday, a very quick task.  Mostly I was there to glue together pairs of the wood triangles I had cut a few weeks ago.  These pieces are part of the leg assembly, and while we only need one piece to hold the lag screws, two provides much more stability, and they're made from 2"x 4" remnants so it adds no cost to the project.  Molly's plan is to deliver the tables with the legs off (no doubt much easier to transport in pieces like that) and then to line up the leg sections and drive the lag screws into pre-drilled holes in the frames.  Pre-gluing the corner blocks will just make that easier.  Since appearance won't be an issue, so need to clamp these to make perfect seams- the weight of 4"x 4" legs will hold them together until the glue bonds.  I did 8 pairs today, and I'll do another bunch another day.


I was just about done with my tasks when Molly joined me in the table shop.  She was continuing work on the tabletops with her router.  She told me she was planning to begin sketching some of the other table tops as soon as today.  Won't be a conflict for me, since all the sanding will be on frames and legs, and I hope to start that tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home