Sunday, March 23, 2014

Getting to Work



After a one week break, the woodcut class is back on schedule.  I had been informed by Mary that she wouldn't be able to make it in today (though she's working on stuff from home), but the other five students were there on time, and I had everything set up and ready for our 2:00 start time.  Everyone had gone ahead and completed a block drawing, some even doing two, one on each side of the panel.  Some were still working out questions of positive/negative breakdowns, but enough of them seemed ready to proceed that I decided to jump right into the cutting demonstration.  The tools I have acquired for the class are those that I find the most useful, so a few sizes of round gouges, some v gouges for thin straight lines, a chisel and a straight blade.  Didn't take long to get through those.  Went over some safety basics as well, and broke out the bench hooks, which everyone found a big help.  By the end of this first day of cutting, all the new people decided they wanted to buy tools, so I collected everyone's list, and I'll place the order this week.  We worked right up to the end, and everyone seemed excited by what they had going.  It was so busy, that once again I didn't get around to pulling out my camera until everyone was gone, so I just got this end of the day shot of my expanded bench hook collection.  We will get everyone started with cutting again next week, and maybe a few people will even be ready to pull a first proof.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home