Tuesday, February 17, 2015

At the End of a Very Long Day



If it's Tuesday, then it must be snowing.  Sometimes long range forecasts will promise a nice day for a coming Tuesday, but somehow before it arrives, snow moves in.  Wednesday was supposed to be the snow day this week, but then they moved it up at the last minute.  So when I got up around 5:30 in the morning to see what had happened and to get ready for work, I caught the above view out my window.  Not too promising.  Yet the website for my day's employer insisted that the weather was fine and school would be open and on time.  Went through the rest of my morning routine, and was updating the class blog to warn them that things might be a bit off this morning, when the school finally realized that all the highways were messed up, and most of the rest of the schools in the state had closed.  That was enough to get a delayed opening to noon.  No time to go back to bed, but at least I would have time to dig out my car, and the roads would be in proper shape.  Had my half a class period, and about half the students were there, which is more than I expected based on previous winters.

Back home tonight I could forget for a little while about the never ending ice and snow of the season and enjoy the celebration that is Mardi Gras.  Not a huge party in this case, but I did make a batch of jambalaya on Sunday so I could enjoy the leftovers tonight.  (spicy food is always on the menu at Studio Arrabbiata)  Throw in a cold beer and some zydeco discs playing, and it was nice way to wrap this day up.  There are a lot of snowy days this winter, but we get only one Fat Tuesday.  Got to enjoy these things while we can.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home