Monday, March 09, 2015

Mystery Critique


Since we were delayed in February (weather) in holding the critique group, and we had a bad forecast for the first Monday in March, we decided to postpone it to the 2nd Monday again.  As of early this afternoon I had only heard a positive response from one of the people on my e-mail list, and had no idea who, if anyone, would be coming.  I got up to the Studio about an hour before to find a packed lot.  Besides the usual Monday evening dance people, there was some kind of theater rehearsal thing happening, but I was able to find parking just on the next block.  (considering how much precipitation has fallen in the last month, I didn't want to take a chance on the dirt lot behind the building)  About 10 minutes before we were to start, Molly called and said she decided not to come, leaving me no idea what to expect.



In the end we had half a dozen people, so actually better than last time.  My student Mary led off with two pieces (above), the first state proof of her latest woodcut, and a drawing of a model from a recent figure class.  Everyone liked how each started and saw potential for each.  Our other Mary (no stranger to prints herself) brought in the piece below, a small watercolor.  The group had many associations with this pictured sphere, relating to the colors and movements and shapes.



Margery brought two clay figurines (above) of interesting characters.  Neither is named yet, but she's open to suggestions so we may have a contest.  Harriet brought in a work in progress, a small sketchbook that she's putting together, much of it filled with photos of previous artworks, which will be combined with hand drawn and painted images, words, etc.  Below are some of the photos that she's making use of.



Tim has been making art on lampshades (blanks purchased at retail) using permanent markers for about a year now.  Some black and white, most with color.  More graphic than his paintings, probably because of his medium, but still using birds, one of his favorite subjects.  Whether it's something to do with the format or his evolution as an artist, this is working well for him and so we all encouraged him to continue.


That left me to wrap things up.  Many in this group hadn't seen my current block recently, if at all, so I gave the quick explanation.  One person commented on how much they liked the juxtaposition of the bricks and shopping carts, so I pulled out the old butter print with its prominent shopping cart and bricks of butter.  Also a good demonstration of the graphic style I am going for and a sense of where this one will end up.

In the end, a decent crit.  I have spring break next week and my goal is to be done or close to it by the end of that week, as I may submit this as one of my entries for the next show in Belmar.  Which means that I'll have it ready for the next critique as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home