Thursday, June 11, 2015

Summer Jobs



It's been about a month since my college classes ended.  For a week beyond that I was busy with grades, but those are long done.  A lot of the time since then has been devoted to trying to find work.   The year round part time job I had for more than a decade no longer exists.  I'm working on finding some regular work, but so far nothing has come through.  I do have a few classes scheduled at the Belmar Arts Council in the coming months, but those depend on people signing up, which I do hope happens.  The Swedish cooking show idea is likely a long way away at best.

One thing that I could do today was see to a potential sale.  Got a specific request last week for a copy of the most recent supermarket print.  I do have the official final proof, but I'd like to have another good proof in my hands before I pass that one on.  Today my morning was free and predicted humidity and 90 degree temperatures told me it would be a good day to be in my basement Studio.  I had loaded my paper in the car a few days ago when I thought I might be doing it, and everything else was already there.  Once again I went with the Outlaw Black, since it had done well for the last proof.  On the previously inked block it was hard to tell at a glance where the new ink was, but at certain angles the light revealed all.  Once again printed it on Rives Lightweight.  About 2 hours from start to finish, including cleaning up everything.

From there I drove to Belmar, to check about recent and upcoming events at the Arts Council, and to grab a Sicilian slice up on the corner.  I was back at the BAC eating my pizza when my phone rang.  It was my former student and sometimes collaborator Tom Huck, who I haven't been able to get on the phone for years.  I do get his mass e-mails, and we know a few people in common, so I get some news, and knew about his new giant studio space and that his job at Washington University had ended.  The point of today's call was to recruit me to teach a summer workshop at his studio.  This wouldn't be until next summer, but it's still a summer job of sorts.  (like last time, he'll cover plane fare and put me up, plus some cash for my efforts)  Did mention I had used his ink earlier in the day.  I have other questions for him, and he said he'd call me back tonight.  As I write this it hasn't happened yet, but when we have that conversation, you'll learn about it here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home