Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Supermarket Battle




A few weeks ago we had the last critique, so I knocked out a quick sketch to show that night.  Still don't know if it will be my next completed print, but we may have our next meeting next week.  Plus, it's getting warmer out, which means my upstairs apartment gets a little stuffy in the afternoon.  On the other hand, my basement Studio will still be cool for a while, so it seemed a good opportunity to do some sketching there.


Since my last sketches, the supermarket where the original incident occurred has changed the displays, removing the large umbrellas from the tops of the produce displays.  And every time that I'm there I spend a few minutes looking at the set up from different angles.  So my first sketch today was from a viewpoint more in the corner, and I decided to put the u-boat between the viewing point and the racks of produce.


One of the alternate compositions I've been considering is a view across that section of the store, perpendicular to the first sketch, and between parallel produce display cases.  However, I was having a hard time working out the perspective in my head, so I took some time to build a cardboard model.  It's something that I've been doing for years when I need help figuring perspective and don't have the actual subject in front of me.  And now that one of my schools has turned me into a sculpture professor,  I've been having my students make models of things as projects in themselves and as preparations for larger pieces.  So above is a rough approximation of a produce case (not sure of the transition between the sloping sides and the sloping end, so I'll have to study that next time I'm there) and below is a sketch showing a view between them.


Like I said, don't know if this will be my next project, but with nothing else demanding my attention, I might as well work on this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home