Saturday, April 18, 2015

Jersey Shore Juried Art Show 11 Opens



Tonight was the opening reception for the 11th Annual Jersey Shore Juried Art Show.  This was the annual exhibition that introduced me to the Belmar Arts Council, when I saw an ad in the paper and decided to enter the 2nd Annual version, back when the BAC had to borrow a vacant store for the gallery, and was holding meetings in the loft of a coffee house.  I worked hard to finish the newest supermarket print in time to submit to this show, but the juror decided to accept an older one instead. Just getting in was good- only about 38% of the submissions were accepted.


This show always draws a big crowd, and the first really nice weekend of the year brought huge crowds to the shore.  We are estimating about 200 people came through.


I got a nice surprise when I arrived and discovered my piece had received an award from juror Janet Cook.  Not the top award, or the next 4 prizes, or even the six special merit awards.  (the juror really liked a lot of the pieces for different reasons)  I was given one of six honorable mentions, which earns me that title, the pale blue ribbon you see above, but no check.  The piece did receive many compliments.  Dr. Keith Calmes, classical guitarist who was there to provide music for the reception, even mentioned a desire to take my woodcut class, but has feared the risk to his hands, which I can understand.

The JAS 11 will remain on display at the Boatworks through May 15, 2015.  Regular gallery hours are 1 to 5 pm, Wednesday to Saturday.  Admission is free.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home